· Top List
· Web Links

Sponsors

Auction Search

in titles and descriptions

Who's Online
We have 11 guests and 0 members online

Welcome Guest, become a member today.

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sagar1908Offline
Post subject: Doubts about Nepal Banknotes  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2003 - 09:02 AM

I want to point out some wrong information given by Pick Catalogue (The Standard Catalogue of World Paper Money).

Nepal had the first paper money introduced on 17th September 1945, as per the notification issued by the then Prime Minister Juddha Samsher J B Rana but the Pick Catalogue still has the date as 1951. The first issue was of Rs. 5, Rs. 10 and Rs. 100 denomination with Sig #1 Janak Raj.

The catalogue has mentioned banknotes P #1 with Sig #2, P #9 with Sig #5, P #13 with Sig #7 and P #15 with Sig #5 which were never printed.

Please correct if I am wrong. Also let me know your views regarding this!

Reply with quote Back to top
gianlorenzo-notesOffline
Post subject: Doubts about Nepal Banknotes  PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 06:27 AM

Hi!

On July 6th, you write on this forum:

The catalogue has mentioned banknotes P #1 with Sig #2, P #9 with Sig #5, P #13 with Sig #7 and P #15 with Sig #5 which were never printed.

I cannot tell you something new about P1, P9 and P15, but I've in my collection a note P13 with signature # 7.
It is in XF/AUNC conditions and I bought last Juni from Mr Sandip Shreshta.
If you are interested in an image of the note, please send me an email to my address below and I'll be glad to send you to the address you will specify.
I would know, if possible, something more (links, books or whatever you think interesting) about the "problem of the first issue" in Nepal. 1945 or 1951 ?

Thank you in advance and have nice days!

Gianni Lorenzoli from Novara - ITALY
IBNS # 8235

AdminOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 31, 2003 - 11:08 PM
Site Admin

Please share the link to the web address here so everyone will be able to view it. Thank you.

If anyone would like to upload images to our gallery. Please respond to this message with a request and I can have it set up.

Last edited by Admin on Feb 21, 2004 - 12:28 AM; edited 1 time in total

sagar1908Offline
Post subject: Doubts about Nepal Banknotes  PostPosted: Aug 02, 2003 - 11:48 PM

Regarding the controversy on First Issue Banknote of Nepal, there is a Notification by the then Prime Minister Juddha Shamsher J.B. Rana (istihar) which is self explanatory about the first issue banknote of Nepal. I am providing the scan of the notification (Courtesy : 'An Overview of Nepalese Paper Money' by Jaya Hari Jha).

Please Click on the image for an enlarged view

This document proves that Nepal's First Issue is not Moru 1 note with Sig. #3 but Moru 5, 10 and 100 denominations banknote with Sig. #1 (Janak Raj).

Regarding the Banknote P13 (Rs. 5) with Sig. #7 (Pradhumna Lal) which was never issued. Mr. Gianni, we will be delighted to see the scan of the note if you have, please send us the scan at sagar1908@hotmail.com .

gianlorenzo-notesOffline
Post subject: Doubts about Nepal Banknotes  PostPosted: Sep 03, 2003 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for previous informations and excuse me for delay in answering. I was far from home for holidays.
About the problem of Rs.5 sign. 7 never issued, I was scanninig the note this morning when I saw a difference in the Pick catalogues I usually use: o­n the IX edition of the volume II (notes till 1960) I see that the signature 7 is of Mr Pradimhalal Rajbhandari (as written o­n Pick) and signature 6 is of Mr. Besh Bahadur Thapa. o­n the VIII edition of the volume III (modern notes) we see exactly the opposite, i. e. nr. 7 is Mr. Besh Bahadur Thapa and nr. 6 is Pradimhalal Rajbhandari.<BR>Now the problem is: which o­ne is "number 7"?
The interesting book of Mr. Jaya Hari Jha "An overview o­n Nepalese Paper Money" shows that the 7th signer is Dr. Bhekh Bahadur Thapa, according with Pick vol. III
This seems to be according with the description of the note P13 o­n both the volumes: o­n vol. II and also o­n vol. III they write that this note exists with signatures 5, 7, 8 (but not 6)
This is according also with the book of Mr. Jaya Hari Jha where we can read that the 6th signer has no Rs.5 notes.
In my modest opinion, I think that Krause editor did a printing error o­n volume II, so there is P13 sign 5, 7 and 8 but no P13 sign 6.<BR>I'm now waiting for a note from Nepal named Pick 13 sign 6.
Immedialely after receiving it, I'll write to you all wich note I received.
If you are still interested in the scan of my note, I'll gladly send you at your address, as per your kind request o­n the forum. My note is a P13 with signature Bekh Bahadur Thapa.
Have nice days, you all!

Gianni Lorenzoli from Novara - ITALY
giannilorenzoli@tin.it

sagar1908Offline
Post subject: 37  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2003 - 11:01 PM

Let me first make it clear that as per Nepal Rastra Bank record the sixth Governor is Mr. Vesh Bahadur Thapa and the seventh Governor is Mr. Pradhumna Lal Rajbhandari as recorded by Mr. Jaya Hari Jha  “An overview of Nepalese paper money”. Regarding this I have already talked with the NRB authorities and many other numismatists including Mr. Jha.

This banknote was first issued in 1956 as Moru 5 with the sig # 4 of Mr. Himalaya Shamsher. In 1965 the same note was issued as Rupee 5 with the sig # 5, 6 and 8 namely Mr. Laxinath Gautam, Mr.Vesh Bahadur Thapa and Mr Yadav Prasad Panta respectively. It was never issued with sig # 7 Pradhumna Lal Rajbhandari. In our humble opinion the Krause editors will have to do lot of revision work o­n Nepal segment of their all three volumes. Even the spellling of the
names and other minor information needs revision. Now we have ‘Nepal Numismatic Society’ in Kathmandu which can be of great help for this.[addsig]

Jump to: