· Top List
· Web Links

Sponsors

Auction Search

in titles and descriptions

Who's Online
We have 14 guests and 0 members online

Welcome Guest, become a member today.

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MadMuffinOffline
Post subject: PostPosted: Jun 10, 2003 - 03:56 PM

This little coin makes me wonder. It appears to belong to the pre-decimal monetary system of Nepal, yet it was made in 1939 after the decimal system had been introduced. Why was it made?

Does anyone know?

Marcel[addsig]

Reply with quote Back to top
sagar1908Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2003 - 10:55 PM

Hi,

Can you give link to the image ? Without seeing the image it is difficult to answer this question.

Sagar.

MadMuffinOffline
Post subject: 12  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2003 - 03:40 AM

Well... I'm afraid that I cannot find a picture of the coin (and I don't own it myself). However, it is listed in Krause as KM 713.

It can be described as a sliver coin, unknown weight, 14 mm diameter. On both sides there is a circular inscription of Nepalese letters around a central symbol. The coin is scarce, but when it is found it is usually in high grade such as AU or UNC.

Hope this helps. I will keep an eye out for a picture.

Marcel[addsig]

sagar1908Offline
Post subject: 18  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2003 - 11:52 PM

I have got this KM# 713 silver 14mm dia 1/16 rupee coin in my collection. At the edge both side there are 64 good luck dots-- at obverse there is little sun and moon and in the centre there is" standing kharga" both side edged sord surrounded by the letters "sri pa su pa ti 96" the great hindu temple name which is located at Kathmandu valley is with the year of issue 1996 VS.

At reverse--little sun and moon and the kings name "Sri Tri bhu wa na"

At that time old system of rupaiya,anna and the newly introduced decemel coinage system were prevelling there.

I got KM#691 also silver 0.04gm 7mm uniface, 1/32 rupee with the above details of reverse only, without 64 good luck dots.

edited by: sagar1908, Jun 13, 2003 - 12:39 AM[addsig]

MadMuffinOffline
Post subject: 19  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2003 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the info

"pa su pa ti" - that must be the temple called "Pashupatinath" (or something like that ). I have visited it myself a couple of times - it's a beautiful place.

But why would the coin carry the name of that temple? Is it just because it's a very holy place or was the coin used for something special in the area around the temple?

Marcel[addsig]

nickOffline
Post subject: 24  PostPosted: Jun 15, 2003 - 01:44 PM

I agree that this coin must have been issued for some special purpose - maybe mint records might give some hints? The other silver coins issued in this year (19)96 were Rupee, 50 Paisa and 20 Paisa - so the decimal system had been introduced, and this 6.25 Paisa does seem out of place. I will check the weight to see if it is in proportion - maybe it is purer silver?? The weight and design is exactly the same as the much rarer gold pieces of '76 (1/8th mohar) & '77 (1/16th mohar) - at which time the denomination is not so out of place.

Regards,

Nick

[addsig]

MadMuffinOffline
Post subject: 25  PostPosted: Jun 16, 2003 - 07:13 AM

My guess is that the coin was made to pay some kind of tax that was introduced before the introduction of decimal coinage. The fact that most surviving specimens seem to have little or no wear indicates that the coin was not meant for general circulation.

6,25 paisa? That must have given the local shop keepers a headache

Marcel[addsig]

Jump to: